HSD PhD Affiliated Research Centers
Supporting student research, the HSD PhD Affiliated Research Centers provide a focal point for intellectual community, research, and education. Each is unique and offers its own conceptual orientation and research portfolio. All work together, however, and HSD students move freely among the diverse array of classes, working groups, and activities offered by each.
- The Center for Biology & Society pursues integrative research that blends history and philosophy of science; bioethics, policy, and law; ecology, economics and ethics of the environment (4E); and the biological sciences.
- Faculty in the Consortium for Science, Policy & Outcomes work at the interface of science and technology policy and science and technology studies to explore the role of science and expertise in democratic governance and the design of policies to enhance the contribution of science and technology to human wellbeing.
- The Center for Law, Science and Innovation is housed in the Sandra Day O’Connor School of Law and is one of the nation’s leading centers for the examination of the role of science and technology in the law and the law’s impact on science and technology.
- The Center for Nanotechnology in Society is an NSF-funded research center for the study of the governance of new and emerging technologies. Designed around the concept of real-time technology assessment, the center is a multi-university network led by ASU that seeks new methods of reflexive and anticipatory governance of science and technology.
- Lincoln Center for Applied Ethics strives to create a university and community ethical culture by sponsoring, organizing, and conducting an array of activities on ethics issues that occur in specific fields and professions as well as those of pressing importance in the community at large.
- Center for Science and the Imagination is a new and innovative research center at ASU created in partnership with science fiction authors and Intel to explore how fictional representations of the future can help enhance the creativity of science and engineering.