Frequently Asked Questions

Home / Degree Programs / Graduate Programs / Certificates / Nonfiction Writing and Publishing / Frequently Asked Questions

Nonfiction Writing and Publishing

When can I apply?

Applications can be submitted any time. However, we recommend you use the following dates to ensure admission for the correct semester:

Fall - apply by the previous April
Spring - apply by the previous September
Summer - apply by the previous February

Is there an enrollment fee?

Yes, there is a $70 fee. This applies to all applicants, regardless of whether you are already in enrolled in ASU’s graduate school.

Do I have to be enrolled in a degree-granting program to apply for the certificate?
No. You may earn the certificate as a stand-alone program. Official program language will reflect this fact beginning in fall semester, 2015.

Is it possible to retake a course for credit? You may take those courses listed as "repeatable for credit" more than once.  If you are unclear whether a course qualifies, ask the instructor.

May I substitute a writing-intensive course for a writing-involved course?

Yes, but you cannot substitute a writing-involved course for a writing-intensive one.

Are other courses possible beyond those listed as approved?

Possibly. You will need to petition the program coordinator.  We recommend you do this well in advance of taking the course.

Can I be admitted if my GPA is below 3.0?
A provisional admission is possible. Your GPA must be 2.8 or higher, you must submit a resume or biographical statement and furnish three writing samples.

Are any courses mandatory?

Yes. HPS/HDS 520 Masters of Nonfiction is required of all certificate students. It's offered every year.

Can I pursue the certificate online?

Some courses are offered online, though not Masters of Nonfiction. It is not possible to complete the certificate wholly

Do I have to be admitted to graduate school to take the certificate?

Yes. If you are already in a graduate program, you can enroll in the certificate in addition to your disciplinary program. If you are not in graduate school, then you must be admitted to graduate school and enroll in the certificate program.